Bamiyan Panorama

Bamiyan Panorama

Saturday, January 16, 2010

tea culture



I was at my friend's house last night and finally discovered how Afghans make their chai! Boil water, add cardamom powder, and lipton's green tea bags. I think there are other types of tea that they make - i like them all.
They have a distinct tea culture. They drink it, ALL the time. When guests come over, they make mass quantities of it and generously distribute it to everyone. I think i had 4-5 cups of it last night! And don't get me started on the food...mmmm.... seasoned rice with chicken, lentils and yogurt on leek filled pasta shells, deep fried & spiced potatoes, beef, more rice, etc....
But back to the tea culture. I wish I had grown up in a tea culture. The first cup of tea I ever enjoyed was in England when I was 18, right after I graduated from high school. Ever since then i've been hooked. I'm trying to grow my collection so that I can share the joy of drinking tea with others.

No comments: